Tzimmes is a traditional Jewish dish, made with sweet ingredients such as dried fruit, honey and root vegetables. Short ribs can be added to the recipe for an even more hearty meal. To make short rib tzimmes, begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C).
Place 6-8 bone-in or boneless beef short ribs in a large roasting pan or Dutch oven and season them with salt and pepper. Next, add 1 chopped onion and 4 peeled and quartered carrots to the pan along with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Add 2 cups of chicken stock or broth then cover the pot tightly before placing it in the oven for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally until the ribs are tender when pierced with a fork.
Remove from heat then stir in ¼ cup each of dried apricots and raisins plus 3 tablespoons of honey before serving warm over cooked rice or mashed potatoes.
This hearty and comforting tzimmes recipe with short ribs is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter night. The short ribs are braised in a flavorful combination of carrots, sweet potatoes, raisins, honey, and spices until they are tender and succulent. Serve this savory dish with your favorite sides such as roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes for an easy but satisfying meal that will have everyone coming back for more!
Q: What Type of Meat is Used in a Tzimmes Recipe With Short Ribs
Tzimmes is a traditional Jewish dish that typically contains sweet elements, such as honey and dried fruits. Short ribs are commonly used in tzimmes recipes, which require slow cooking to ensure the meat is tender.
The type of meat used in this recipe:
– Beef short ribs – Lamb shanks These types of meats provide an intense flavour base for the stewed vegetables and sweet additions.
The long cooking process helps break down the tougher proteins within the meat, making it soft enough to enjoy with other ingredients.
Q: How Long Does It Take to Prepare a Tzimmes Recipe With Short Ribs
It typically takes about 3-4 hours to prepare a tzimmes recipe with short ribs.
The steps are as follows:
• Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and season the short ribs.
• Place in an oven safe baking dish, cover and bake for 2-2 1/2 hours until tender. • In a separate pot, bring carrots, prunes, onions and sweet potatoes to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes. • Add honey and butter before adding the cooked short ribs into the vegetable mixture.
• Simmer everything together for an additional 15 minutes or until vegetables are completely cooked through. Enjoy!
Q: What Vegetables are Commonly Included in a Tzimmes Recipe
A Tzimmes recipe typically includes carrots, sweet potatoes, and dried fruits such as prunes.
Other vegetables used may include:
• Rutabagas • Turnips Vegetables are usually cooked together in a mixture of honey, orange juice, cinnamon and other seasonings which creates the sweet flavor associated with tzimmes.
How to make short rib cubes with Tzimmes.
This tzimmes recipe with short ribs is a delicious and unique take on traditional Jewish flavors. With its sweet-savory combination of vegetables and spices, the dish is sure to be a hit at any occasion. The tenderness of the slow-cooked short ribs adds an extra layer of flavor that will tantalize your taste buds.
Serve it hot for a truly satisfying experience that everyone in the family can enjoy!